This will enable them to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including in unfamiliar contexts and to model real-life scenarios
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and develop and present a justification, argument or proof using mathematical language
- Have an appreciation of number and number operations, which enables mental calculations and written procedures to be performed efficiently, fluently and accurately
At Burbage Primary School, mathematics is taught daily. We foster positive ‘can do’ attitudes, believe all children can achieve in mathematics, and teach for secure and deep understanding of mathematical concepts. We use mistakes and misconceptions as an essential part of learning and provide challenge through rich and sophisticated problems before acceleration through new content.
Maths Curriculum Plan Y1 – Y6
Maths Calculation Strategies
Science teaching at Burbage aims to give children a strong understanding of the world around them whilst acquiring specific skills and knowledge. Science is taught as Biology, Chemistry or Physics topics which are structured as series of key enquiry questions. These topics are revisited and developed throughout their time at school to ensure continuity and progression. Specialist vocabulary is introduced at the beginning of each topic and built up across each key stage and concepts are taught by focussing on the scientific enquiry questions. This allows children to build on their prior knowledge, increase engagement and enjoyment for further learning whilst embedding this knowledge into the long-term memory. Scientific enquiry skills are embedded within each topic the children study to develop and use a range of skills including observation, planning and investigation to become independent learners in exploring possible answers to our key enquiry questions. Our aim is for all children to enjoy, engage and be curious of the world around them as active learners.
Science Curriculum Plan Y1 – Y6
Burbage Primary School aims to provide high-quality history education that opens up our children’s knowledge and understanding of our fascinating world, both past and present. The content of the History curriculum focuses on developing knowledge of significant aspects of history to enhance and allow our children to make historical connections of people and events from past and present, local and regional, national and international. Through historical enquiries and analysis our children will grow chronological narratives of local and wider world events. They will develop an understanding of historical concepts that have shaped people’s lives and the world in which we live today. Together these knowledge and skills will develop our children’s critical thinking and help them to question the influences of the past on decisions today.
History Curriculum Overview KS1-2 (2)
Music & Drama
Our children will gain a firm understanding of musical concepts through a variety of experiences. Children will learn about the structure and organisation of music using the correct terminology and will listen to and analyse music from different time-periods and cultures. All children will learn to play at least one tuned instrument and will also experience playing a range of others, both tuned and untuned. Through singing, playing and composing, children will develop a strong sense of rhythm, musical notation and collaboration.
We believe that drama performances enrich the children’s experience in school and all Infants perform in our annual Nativity musical at Christmas time. In addition our Y3/4 children perform at Easter and the Y6 end of summer performance is always a real treat.
Music Curriculum Overview
PE, Dance and Sport
We provide a high-quality physical education curriculum that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. We provide high quality teaching in a wide range of physical activities. Through these opportunities, we aim to build the notion of resilience, persistence, concentration, fairness and respect. Our curriculum is devised to promote a physically active lifestyle; it enhances our pupils’ creative, intellectual, physical, mental, emotional and social development.
PE Curriculum overview
Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education (SMSC)
As part of SMSC education, our children are taught to:
- Explore beliefs and experience; respect faiths, feelings and values; enjoy learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
- Recognise right and wrong; respect the law; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
- Use a range of social skills; participate in the local community; appreciate diverse viewpoints; participate, volunteer and cooperate; resolve conflict; engage with the British values of democracy, the rule of law, liberty, respect and tolerance.
- Appreciate cultural influences; appreciate the role of Britain’s parliamentary system; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.
Our Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) education is woven through the work of the school: through our ethos, vision and values, as well as throughout the curriculum and our daily act of worship. As part of our core values, we welcome children into our school of all cultures, faiths and beliefs. We teach children to respect themselves, others and the world around them with openness, honesty and integrity.